Cooking different recipes is something that we do from day to day because eating the same food is just so boring. In order to cook these recipes, you follow certain cookbooks or online recipes which you in a fix with their ingredients. At other times, you run out of an ingredient which cannot be avoided and you are forced to go to the market to buy those products in order to continue your cooking sessions.
So we thought of making your life easier by charting out ten easily available substitutes of a few common ingredients! This is how you can use one ingredient instead of other and still get the same taste in your recipe:
1) Meat: You can easily make a non-vegetarian dish into a vegetarian one by supplementing meat with beans, cheese, seitan(wheat meat), tempeh (cultured soybeans), textured vegetable protein and tofu.
2) Seafood Stocks: If your dish requires you to add seafood stock and you’ve ran out of it, then you can simply use vegetable stock or water in which beans, pasta or vegetables have been put cooked in exchange of that.
3) Bread Crumbs: For every 1/4thcup of bread crumbs, equivalent amount of finely crushed crumbs, corn-flakes or quick cooking oats can be used.
4) Garam Masala: This is one of the main ingredients in Indian cooking and a mix of several spices together. If you ever run out of the same, mix 1 tsp. cardamom seeds( elaichi ), 1 tbs. cumin seed (jeera), 1 tbs. coriander seed (dhaniya), 2 tsp black peppercorns( kali mirch), 1 tsp cinnamon( dal chini) , 1 tsp cloves (laung) and 1 tsp nutmeg( jayfal). Powder them to get garam masala at home!
5) Red/ White Wine: This can be an ingredient in many international cuisines. To make your dish alcohol free, you can use pomegranate juice or half cup water with 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar. On the other hand, if you wish to supplement white wine, apple cider vinegar which is one of the best substitutes for white one could be used. Vegetable stock, apple juice and carrot juice can also be used.
6) Egg: If you want to make a dish which is eggless but requires you to add one, 1 tbsp of ground flax meal along with 3 tbsp of water would be perfect for you!
7) Milk: For every 1 cup of milk, you can use1 cup soymilk, rice milk, almond, and hemp or hazelnut milk. This is probably going to make your recipe taste better than expected!
8) Sugar: A lot of options are available which you can use instead of the regular sugar. Corn syrup, molasses, caster sugar, confectioner’s sugar, brown sugar or honey can be used in its place.
9) Chili Sauce: Got a knack for the fiery side of things? But ran out of it and now you’re fretting? There’s a way to make your dishes taste yummy again! Just mix 1 cup tomato sauce, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar, ¼ tsp of cinnamon along with a bit of cinnamon and allspice to get the perfect substitute for chili sauce.
10) Beer: For those who do not wish to add alcohol to their dish can add 1 cup water, white grape juice, apple cider or apple juice, diluted peach or apricot syrups.
Don’t let the non-availability of a few ingredients hinder the chef in you! Go on experiment with a few more ingredients and enjoy some exciting new treats! Remember to stock some staples at home so they come in handy in case you run out of any ingredient.