Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
An adage we all have heard at some point or the other. But the question is, how religiously do we follow it? We certainly underestimate the power of eating breakfast and the effects that it has on our body.
In this fast-paced life, one can choose to take the seemingly right route and skip breakfast, without realizing how important it is for us. After a long period of sleep, our body is running on an empty stomach, so we ought to “break” the “fast” and provide our body with energy which would help in making us function properly throughout the day.
A good breakfast makes cognitive functions efficient, improving memory and concentration levels. The long term benefits of eating breakfast are that it can reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart diseases and diabetes.
Keeping in mind, the hectic schedule and lifestyle of modern times, we have charted out a list of seven breakfast ideas that would not just be healthy but would also fit right in your busy schedule!
1) Moong Dal Cheela: Moong dal is a very good source of nutrition. Pulses are low in fat and cholesterol, high in dietary fiber and rich in protein. This simple yet light breakfast recipe is a good kick start to your day! Soak and grind dal overnight. At breakfast time, fry the cheelas and sprinkle paneer on top of it to make it more healthy and sumptuous. Green chutney and tomato ketchup give the cheela an even better taste!
2) Idli Sambar: This South-Indian delicacy is renowned all over the world for its unique taste and healthy combination. Light-fluffy idlis are the best food you could treat your stomach with because they are steamed and are bereft of any oil. Idli contains urad dal and rice which complement each other and make it a complete food. Overnight preparation is required for the same.
3) Green Pea Paranthas: Green peas are a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Iron. These paranthas are a good break from the regular stuffed paranthas. With the added goodness of soya flour, these paranthas are a perfect choice for breakfast!
4) Spicy Oat Pancakes: Oats are known to contain cholesterol-fighting soluble fiber, hence making them an ideal food for breakfast and completely versatile. You could have it with cold milk, fruits and honey or in a totally different way, spicy! Moreover, these pancakes are extremely gratifying and curb all cravings for junk food. Go slow on the oil and pour in the veggies, and you’ve got yourself a treat!
5) Sooji ka Upma: Filled with healthy veggies like tomato, onions, carrots, ginger, green chillies and capsicums along with sooji, this recipe is a favorite among many households. Quick to cook, it is immensely satiating and loaded with the goodness of urad, chana dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
6) Banana & Oatmeal Smoothie: Bananas, oatmeal, milk and the aromatic cinnamon make for a sumptuous and gastronomical breakfast! Moreover it’s not just quick, it’s a super-quick recipe!
7) Vegetable Grilled Sandwich: Veggies like cucumber, tomato, onions, potatoes grilled to perfection along with the brown bread, served with green chutney or tomato ketchup is a savory combination for breakfast!
With so many options now available for breakfast, one for every day of the week make sure you do not miss breakfast on any day! Give your day healthy start with an even yummy morning!